miles standish proud

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

"For love of the ox the Wolf licks the yoke" (Catalan proverb)

I was going to write about why Holocaust denial should remain legal in Britain, but managed to do so in the proper forum for spleen venting, ukplc.

Instead, a bit about a book I have just read. Called something like "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay," and responsible for winning Michael Chabon the 1991 Pulitzer, it is an American novel about comics. And escapology. And forbidden love of a Brokebackian bent. As it were.Readable and entertaining enough, it was packed with the kind of pithy cod-profundity that leaves you wondering where the beef is. Like a McVeggieburger, it was deeply unsatisfying.

Now in possession of a mini Ipod, I am able to insert the odd outsider into my daily diet of Smashing Pumpkins, Shola Ama and Waylon Jennings. Which means Chopin, Liszt and Brahms make the odd appearance. Listening to these compositions has not made me cleverer, which is also deeply unsatisfying.

I am being stalked by a mad Christian. Simon and I parted with our email addresses in return for a free annotated Gospel of John. Now a Portugese bloke called Emmanuel is trying to save my soul. It should be easy to just ignore his evangelical email. But he loiters around UCL, and has now twicw accosted me, and asked me why I have not replied. I am a bit concerned that we are in wierd Enduring Love territory. Fortunately, someone has offered me a no questions asked kneecapping service, so if it comes to that we can martyr him. Which might be deeply satisfying.

Finally, I will be speaking at the Institute of Historical Research's annual 'Anglo-American Conference' which runs from the 5th to the 7th of July in London. The theme is religion and politics, and I appear to have submitted the title "Getting Around the Gods: Caesar's first consulship in 59BC." I seem to have forgotten what I thought I was going to talk about, but will nevertheless appreciate any friendly faces, not least because I am on a panel with some very clever Professors, which has made me feel quite scared.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:12 AM, Blogger UK plc said…

    Oh well, I hope Susie likes/liked it a bit more than you did.
    I've had no evangelical email as yet (they promised us they wouldn't send us any...). But I told you not to talk to him...
    Free bibles seem a little superfluous in any case with so many editions online... http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/

     
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger Tom said…

    I'm sure I've made you listen to this song before, but just in case I haven't

    Congratulations on the conference.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home